Sunday, April 22, 2018

Bad timing





Some time last year I spotted a couple of bags of an oatmeal coloured yarn in a charity shop.  It was labelled as if it had possibly been a second of Rowan yarn - Scottish Tweed.  I couldn't pass it up although it was just a bit gingery.


I found a pattern in one of those collections of "Woman's Weekly" patterns.  I remember thinking that the design does nothing for the model.  Later I realised that the picture does not even show the saddle shoulder which is the design's main point of interest.

I knitted both fronts and the back up to the armholes and started on the sleeves.  Then I joined in a new ball and began to feel that it was of a slightly different thickness to the rest.  The project seemed doomed and it stalled.  The bag sat in the corner of the living room for a year.


Perhaps I should finish it and send it off to Knit for Peace, I thought.  I reminded myself of the pattern and resumed. 

After assembling the pieces, I had to make some decisions about the edgings as the original had a straight ribbed band which would not do.  Also, I needed to lose an inch or two, rather than adding any width - that's the cardigan, not me, at least on this occasion.  I decided to use a narrow I-cord edging for the front edges, incorporating buttonholes.  This would then wrap over to fasten.  For the collar sections I used short rows to create a ribbed band and finished it with I-cord.


I put the finishing touches to this lovely, all wool jacket, just as the April heat-wave hit - not ideal wear for this weather.  Still, it will keep, provided the moths do not get to it.





2 comments:

Julie said...

Bad timing for this year, perhaps, but a nice surprise for next year you unearth a lovely finished jacket from the closet!

knitski said...

Great details!