Sunday, February 11, 2018

Two finished objects

Like most knitters, I have a few unfinished objects lurking in cupboards.  There's that oatmeal cardigan from last year, still half done.  It would have been just the ticket in the raw cold weather we are experiencing at the moment.  But it stalled when I realised that the two lots of yarn I had to have in the charity shop may have been the same colour but were different in other ways.  Not sure it is worth resurrecting.


Here we have a shawl/ scarf which I have knitted before, but in a lime green.  This is Afetos, knitted in Jaeger Alpaca.  It is a lovely blue-grey but the project stalled somewhere in the last big band of garter stitch.  It's finished now, though, and on the lookout for a good home.

And here is the Evergreen waistcoat.  This has been on the needles a while but not because it was resting.



Remember charity shop jumper - £8.99 -  from which I sourced most of the yarn.  The dark green stripe, in bright sunlight, has that wonderful tweedy richness.  Now it is the back of the waistcoat, dull in lamplight and lovely in the sun.


The fronts went through some transitions before arriving at this finished state.  I find it easier to visualise things when I see them in place, so if they look wrong I have to rip back and reknit.


On previous waistcoats I have felt that ribbed armhole edgings added unhelpful width on the shoulders.  This time I finished the armholes with an I-cord edging, just to neaten them.  So then, on the fronts, I wanted to use I-cord buttonholes, so I picked up and knit the stitches and then cast off with I-cord including the buttonholes in the cast-off.

I'm very pleased with how this has turned out.


3 comments:

Carol M said...

and you ought to be VERY pleased - it's really pretty and it looks great on you. The tree pattern and colors are awesome. I'm curious about how you did the buttonholes in the i-cord bind off.
Also, that shawl is lovely; it should go to someone knit-worthy...or better yet, keep it for yourself!

Robin said...

Beautiful knitting and beautiful on you,

knitski said...

This is a stunning vest. The colors are great and I love the tree motif. Everything about it looks wonderful--great details!