Friday, November 03, 2017

Constable Country

Recently we had some visitors in our National Trust property who had been to Flatford Mill and had found it to be "Like Oxford Street."


On my birthday, I chose for us to go and have lunch in Dedham, which is about twenty miles north of here.  We pottered around a few shops, then drove on to Flatford Mill in the sunshine.


A mid-week afternoon was obviously the ideal time to visit.  A deep peace had settled over the scene.  This is Willy Lott's cottage, familiar from Constable's "The Hay Wain."


We had tea at the National Trust tearooms, watching a pair of swans with a well-grown cygnet cruising along the river.


Anything further from Oxford Street it is hard to imagine.

2 comments:

Janet McKee said...

I'm reminded of a tranquil day on the river over 20 years ago when I visited our son David in Ipswich. Son James, girl friend Susan, and I had come over from Dublin. Now 20+ years later James and his wife Susan are here in Seattle, as am I. And son David is living in Connecticut. We still get together fairly often, considering the distances involved. And we have less tranquil days on the Connecticut River.

knitski said...

I love that last photo so peaceful!