Friday, December 12, 2014

Photo tourism




So where was I off to today?


Was I catching the Hogwarts' Express?

In fact, I was meeting an old friend at Peterborough, which is about midway between our homes.  I'd never been before, and I must say that I was impressed. 

Those of you who imagine these trips as a sequence of visual delights might bear in mind that on the journey out my train was cancelled.  No problem, as Peterborough featured on a number of routes. 

But on the way back the same thing: train cancelled and the alternative a stopping train, doubling the length of the journey, delivering me to London for the rush hour.  Then we were held at an intermediate station while the police rounded up someone who had decided to trespass on the line and run around to avoid arrest.  It took four hours to get home.

But in Peterborough the cathedral is an absolute gem.  The West Front is early 13th century; the only Gothic part of the building.


Elsewhere,  rank upon rank of Norman arches with delicate columns decorate the exterior.


The cathedral has housed the tomb of Katharine of Aragon, since her death at Kimbolton in 1536.


Everywhere, history is layered into the fabric of the building.


The centre of the city is a giant modern mall, but we had a choice of eateries: Carluccio's is housed in a former almshouse bearing this plaque. 


 Instead we chose Pizza Express, with this Arts and Crafts facade.


On the needles, or rather just off them, was a pair of fingerless mittens bearing  cabled owls, gifted in a secret Santa without being photographed.  Meanwhile. I am ploughing on with Signild, a cardigan by Elsebeth Lavold, in September's edition of "The Knitter".



 

2 comments:

kristieinbc said...

I hope the time in Peterborough made up for the lengthy journey. Had it been me I would have frozen with fear if a train had been cancelled. I don't understand how to read the British rail time charts, and last year my cousin and I made a tactical error trying to do so. I would still be standing next to the wall, trying to get onto Platform 9 ¾. :-)

Mary Lou said...

On my recent UK trip I waiting on line for help everytime. The ticket and time charts baffled me as well, but the staff were super helpful.