Friday, March 23, 2012

Small Things

Knitting small items has its own satisfactions: easily portable, quick to complete, small design challenges to manage.

These little gloves have been made to match the scarf.   Twisted rib gives a nice neat effect.  I knit these flat, on two needles, adapting a couple of patterns. Somehow I always need the support of a pattern for the technical aspects, such as rate of increase for the thumb gusset, and how to construct the fingers on two needles.  But it is very satisfying to be able to try on the item to get a good fit.

Last Friday, I went up to Oxford on the train for a reunion with a college friend who married a Canadian.

I have not seen her these thirty years, but she was the same in all essentials.  All those years ago, she and I made the costumes for a production of "Royal Hunt of the Sun" in New College.  I recall the versatility of lining fabric; shredded, it did look like feathers when attached  to a cloak, or we thought it did in our innocence.

On the way, I paid what might be a last visit to Annabelinda, which is due to close.  The lovely dresses in there are a delight, although their prices make my eyes water.  I decided I could afford a card of their buttons, covered in antique Chinese braid.  I can see these on a plain brown jacket.


  Covering buttons is an easy and satisfying task.  The second picture shows a button using silk tie fabric from the local silk mill.  I could imagine these becoming addictive.

No comments: