Thursday, October 21, 2010

Period Details

A brilliantly sunny day last Sunday: so wonderful I cannot bear to be indoors.  We took down our bean row and began the last of the heavy digging on the allotment.  Courgettes, beans, leeks, swede and the two butternut sqashes -all gathered in.


 A walk up Church Street takes you past some fascinating period details.  Bow-windows with bulls-eye glass:




Full timbered houses, some of which have been shops at one time:




Carved bressumers:



And woodwork revealing previous use as a butcher's shop;


A quaint, country inn:


And a clothing warehouse, last remnant of the trade that built the wealth of the area over the centuries:




At last to the church, St Peter ad Vincula, with its "flinty, fifteenth-century tower", as Betjeman has it, although, in this case, war damage necessitated a rebuild at that end.






I don't think that this is the brass of Thos. Paycocke and his wife, but it is of the right period.

Finally, this week's tweed.  I can't tell you how happy this fabric makes me.  It's a jersey base, with the other threads felted on to the surface.  At Ally Pally, I saw a commercial stall selling a coat with panels of this fabric.  I plan to make the usual basic  skirt, the only dilemma being whether to feature the plain edges as the hem.


2 comments:

frayed at the edge said...

A super post, with lovely buildings, some history .... and gorgeous fabric!!
(when I have to use my Google ID, I always worry that people don't recognise me as 'frayedattheedge'!)

Janet said...

Your pictures remind me of some lovely places we visited when one of our sons lived in Ipswich.